Recap of NJPW’s Business Strategy meeting.
New Japan Pro-Wrestling hosted their 2022 Business Strategy Meeting and livestreamed the presentation on their YouTube channel and on NJPW World. Company President Takami Ohbari, Bushiroad CEO Takaani Kidani, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hiromu Takahashi and Great-O-Khan were all present.
Key notes coming out of the meeting is that talents from STARDOM will be competing for New Japan in the USA moving forward. NJPW is returning to the United Kingdom in October. Vocal crowd noise is going to be allowed on September 5th and 6th at Korakuen Hall events. Also, for the NJPW x STARDOM show on November 20th, two mixed tag matches are taking place on the card.
Below are the remainder of the highlights from the presentation:
- President Takami Ohbari comments on NJPW’s strong year, highlights Forbidden Door in Chicago and Washington D.C. Capital Collision.
- Says one thing NJPW has been able to do that other companies have not is build a consistent sub-brand like STRONG that has allowed them to tour in the U.S. and Japan at the same time.
- They want to look for more younger talents.
- NJPW hopes to change the entry process for talents coming into the company, says this new regime will be implemented this year and it’ll allow for talents to come into the company more smoothly after college.
- STARDOM wrestlers will be featured on New Japan of America moving forward.
- NJPW returning to the UK in October, plans to leverage their New Zealand dojo by running more events in Oceania.
- In 2019, 96,000 people watched G1 Climax events. That fell to 36,000 and then 28,000 during the pandemic. 2022 ticket sales for the G1 have surpassed 30,000 and the target is for a total attendance of 50,000.
- At their August 16th and 17th shows, seats will be divided by factions so that fans can cheer their favorite groups.
- There is going to be an outdoor show on August 20th in Roppongi Hills as part of TV Asahi’s Summer Station event.
- NJPW x STARDOM on November 20th — Ohbari says ‘around two mixed tag matches’ are going to be on the card. Men will wrestle men and women will wrestle women.
- Ohbari expresses interest in developing NFTs.
- Shows at Korakuen Hall on September 5th and 6th will be half capacity to allow a vocal crowd noise section.
- Bushiroad CEO Takaaki Kidani praises STARDOM’s growth over the past several years. He thinks the Japan scene could become ‘gender-less’ and more integrated.
- Kidani added that he feels today’s meeting signifies a new chapter for New Japan.
2022 Business Strategy Presentation English updates
Follow for English updates from the 2022 NJPW Business Strategy Presentation.
A full report and transcript will be available from https://t.co/7HOrzLEwrv this evening.
— NJPW Global (@njpwglobal) July 7, 2022
NJPW’s Japan-based product is resuming in-action on July 16th for the start of the G1.