Quick recommendation guide for 2019 Best of the Super Juniors (The Second Half)
by WH Park
We’ve locked in the finalists for the Best of the Super Juniors A and B Blocks.
The finals will take place at Ryōgoku Sumo Hall on Wednesday, June 5, 2019.
Let’s look at the last 5 days of the tournament and what you should watch.
Again, these are spoiler-free so no results just recommendations and some quick blurbs of some of the matches.
All recommended will be 3.5* to 5.0*
I’ll also list the top 5 performers of the tournament as the league portion is now done.
(For Part 1 of the BOSJ recommendations click here)
Day 10 – 5/26 Makuhari Messe International Conference Hall 7
Marty Scurll v Titán – 3.5*
Bandido v BUSHI – 3.5*
Shingo Takagi v Tiger Mask IV – 3.5*
Robbie Eagles v Will Ospreay – 4.50*
– This match played of their previous history of matches in Australia including a nice touch of Eagles throwing the patch of the Japanese flag that Ospreay gave him back at Will.
– The Phantasmo interference in the match played to a larger story for Eagles and will likely pay off in a future babyface turn.
Taiji Ishimori v SHO – 3.5*
Day 11 – 5/29 Nagoya Congress Center Event Hall
Titán v SHO – 3.5*
Taiji Ishimori v Tiger Mask IV – 3.5*
– Grumpy and motivated Tiger Mask showed up which usually delivers in these singles matches.
Shingo Takagi v Jonathan Gresham – 4.25*
– An excellent David vs Goliath style match.
Yoshinobu Kanemaru v Dragon Lee – 4.0*
– Kanemaru had a mini-renaissance in this BOSJ and is an exceptional heel. This creates a great dynamic with an exceptional babyface with Dragon Lee.
– Very hot match with unmaskings, Taichi interference, whiskey spots that enhanced the match instead of detracting from it.
Day 12 – 5/30 Osaka Municipal Central Gymnasium Sub Arena
Ren Narita v YOH – 3.5*
Robbie Eagles v Bandido – 4.0*
– An excellent high-flying and highspot heavy match.
BUSHI v Rocky Romero – 4.0*
– This was an excellent grudge match between these two long-time rivals.
DOUKI v Will Ospreay – 4.5*
– Ospreay continues to prove why he’s one of the best wrestlers in the world by elevating DOUKI to a level where it looked believable whenever DOUKI got the advantage over Ospreay.
Day 13 – 5/31 Item Ehime
SHO v Jonathan Gresham – 3.75*
– Gresham was probably the standout performer in regards to selling injuries from show to show. His ribs were taped up from the beating he took from Takagi 2 days earlier.
– This was one of my more anticipated matches of the tournament.
– The story of the match was Gresham going after SHO’s leg while SHO was targeting Gresham’s arm.
Marty Scurll v Dragon Lee – 4.0*
Shingo Takagi v Taiji Ishimori – 5.0*
– This was a Dragon System vs. Dragon System match.
– Ishimori matched up really well with Shingo and basically went toe-to-toe with him.
– Turned into an absolute war.
Day 14 – 6/3 ZIP Arena Okayama
Rocky Romero v Bandido – 3.5*
Robbie Eagles v YOH – 3.75*
El Phantasmo v DOUKI – 3.5*
Will Ospreay v Ryusuke Taguchi – 5.0*
– Just an absolutely fantastic match.
Top 5 wrestlers so far are –
- Will Ospreay
- Shingo Takagi
- Dragon Lee
- Robbie Eagles
WH Park is the Japanese correspondent for POST Wrestling and can be heard every month on POST Puroresu with John Pollock. You can follow him on Twitter @whpark9