The Long & Winding Royal Road veers off the beaten track once more to spotlight one of the key members of the 90s All Japan roster, “Dangerous K” Toshiaki Kawada!
WH Park is joined by co-host of the Eastern Lariat, Dylan Fox, a massive Kawada fan who also chronicles wrestling from the 90s on his 90s Project series which you can find at the Eastern Lariat’s Patreon.
WH and Dylan look at how Kawada and Mitsuharu Misawa were intertwined from their high school days until the tail end of their respective careers. They also discuss his formative years on excursion in Texas, Calgary and Montreal before returning to Japan to apprentice under the tutelage of Genichiro Tenryu, his team and rivalry with Misawa, the dominance of The Holy Demon Army, his ascension to the ACE position of All Japan after Misawa leaves to form NOAH. It’s all covered in this comprehensive discussion.
A selection of matches cited:
- Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy vs. Genichiro Tenryu & Toshiaki Kawada (December 16th, 1988)
- Toshiaki Kawada vs. Akira Taue (January 15, 1991)
- AJPW – Toshiaki Kawada vs Jumbo Tsuruta (1991.4.6)
- Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi (June 9, 1995)
- Mitsuharu Misawa vs Toshiaki Kawada (AJPW 1/22/99)
- Mitsuharu Misawa vs Toshiaki Kawada (AJPW, 3/31/2000)
- Tenryu Vs Kawada (10/28/2000)
Support this podcast by picking up a POST PURORESU t-shirt
WH Park and a special guest look back at the greatest matches of All Japan Pro Wrestling from the 1990s in The Long & Winding Royal Road, a limited-edition podcast from POST Wrestling.
Music: “Across the Danube, Op. 36” by John Philip Sousa | Performed by United States Marine Band (band) and Jason Fettig (conductor) | The Complete Marches of John Philip Sousa, No.4 | Washington, DC: United States Marine Band, 2015. | Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 | Public Domain Letter
WH Park on Twitter: @whpark9