John Pollock & Wai Ting to review NJPW Wrestling World 2003 headlined by Yuji Nagata vs. Josh Barnett for the IWGP Heavyweight Title from the Tokyo Dome on January 4th.
“Inokism” takes over New Japan as the popularity of Japanese MMA (Pride, K-1 Hero’s) leaves its mark on the product. Following a controversial early end to his UFC title reign, Josh Barnett competes in his first pro wrestling match against IWGP Champion Yuji Nagata in the main event.
Featuring 2003 appearances by Shinsuke Nakamura, Katsuyori Shibata, Giant Silva, Togi Makabe, Kenzo Suzuki, Jushin Liger, Yoshihiro Takayama and THE MAKAI CLUB.
Espresso Executive Producer Paul Delos Santos joins us to discuss his selection before entering the Trivia Gauntlet.
NJPW Wrestling World
Saturday, January 4, 2003
- IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Yuji Nagata (c) vs. Josh Barnett
- NWF Championship (vacant): Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Tsuyoshi Kosaka
- Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Masahiro Chono & Manabu Nakanishi
- Kazunari Murakami & Tadao Yasuda vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Michiyoshi Ohara
- Young Generation Cup Final
- Heat, Masayuki Naruse & Tiger Mask vs. Jushin Thunder Liger, Koji Kanemoto & Takehiro Murahama
- Masahito Kakihara & Takashi Iizuka vs. Makai Club #4 (Katsuyori Shibata) & Makai Club #5 (Mitsuya Nagai)
- Hiro Saito & Tatsutoshi Goto vs. Dai Majin (Giant Silva) & Makai Club #1 (Junji Hirata)
- Young Generation Cup Semi-Final: Kenzo Suzuki vs. Ryushi Yanagisawa
- Young Generation Cup Semi-Final: Shinya Makabe vs. Yutaka Yoshie
- Osamu Nishimura vs. Tatsumi Fujinami
Watch on New Japan World (account required): NJPW Wrestling World 2003
Next time on Rewind-A-Wai… WWF “Thursday RAW! Thursday” (2/13/97)